Friday, June 19, 2009

The Bums

I took my family to hang around a bunch of bums last Monday night. It was a phenomenal time. The crazy thing is that I've know these bums most of my life.

When I was between the ages of four and nine, my parents befriended a bunch of university students from our church in our college town. For us, the name "bum" is a term of endearment that has lasted three decades. (vice the dictionary definition) Our house was always open to the bums and their friends. When they needed a place to crash, a dollar for gas (you could buy close to three gallons with a dollar then), some advice for the world that awaited them after college, or "whatever," they could get it at our house. Many attribute their personal spiritual development and growth to times and talks with my parents. One bum even lived with us for a quarter of one of his years in college. He moved into my brother's room; and my brother moved into mine.

The stories on Monday ran well into the night. Memories of riding horses, putting diesel in my dad's motorcycle, the nick-names they had for my brother and me were just a few of tales told. The list goes on.


Over the years, I've been to many of their weddings (one reminded me how my brother and I wanted to give them all of the money from our piggy-banks as our gift to them) and have pictures of me and their children when their children were the ages of my kids. Tthey threw a reunion / party for Jewel and me when we got married. I've received random e-mails and letters from them, indicating that they were praying for me and my family.
I've unhesitantly reached out from across the miles for everything from a furniture set (that remained in Germany after we moved, ten years after we got it from one of the bum couples) to beds to connections to churches in their areas. Sometimes if you want a bum, you have to be one.
Between the memories and the stories, there was a common thread that ran deep and strong. Each family that was there shared a connection not only through college, but through Christ. Below are some Facebook posts that indicate the richness of the relationships: "What a great family you have. I was reminded AGAIN this week of the rich heritage the Lord has given us. Thanks Dan...I hope to see you again soon." "Thanks for letting us hang out at your place last night. You have a very special family and you seem like a great man of God. Kinda like your pops! :)"



Even though all of the bums get togther only once every five (or more) years, their individual lives and families have motivated and inspired me since I was in kindergarten; and they still do.

They don't necessarily fit one's mental picture of a bum today; but they'll always be bums in my mind.

And that's a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. I love the big group shot at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wished I could of been there too!! Such tears of joy and GREAT memories have filled my mind while reading this. I have been the honored and blessed one to have had such great "bums" in my life. You all truly are family to me. Love ya, Mary

    ReplyDelete